From the Colli Fioriti campsite, you can reach and visit the city of Como in half an hour by car or an hour by bus. Below are the most important sights to visit.
Cathedral of Como
The cathedral was finished in 1770, with the construction of the dome, designed by Filippo Juvara.
The main façade is Gothic with slight Renaissance influences.
Inside, the structure is still Gothic, with three naves, where several works are exhibited, including nine Renaissance tapestries, the painting of the “Adoration of the Magi” by Bernardino Luini, and those of the “Marriage of the Virgin” and “Flight into Egypt” by Gaudenzio Ferrari.
The wooden altar is dedicated to Sant’Abbondio, protector of the city of Como.
The old Municipal Palace was built in 1215, in a Gothic-Romanesque style – by will of the chief magistrate, Bonardo da Cadazzo – adjacent to the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore, which then occupied the place of the Cathedral of Como.
In the Renaissance, the façade, with white, gray, and red stripes, acquires the influences of the period. Restored several times in 1972, it was restored to its original form.
Over the centuries, the Palazzo Broletto was used for different occasions. Today, it is used by the city of Como for art exhibitions, public events, and conferences.
Basilica of Sant’Abbondio
Starting in the sixteenth century, it was remodeled several times, until its original appearance was altered, which was then reestablished with its nineteenth-century restoration.
Massive pilasters divide the façade – in Moltrasio stone – into 5 parts, corresponding with the inner naves, and with its remarkable portal enriched with bas-relief sculptures.
The double tower is of Nordic inspiration, not common in Italy.
The interior of the Basilica, with its five naves, divided by columns decorated with precious capitals, preserves in its apse the fourteenth-century frescoes, “Stories of Christ”, by the Lombard artist known as the “Master of Sant’Abbondio”, which narrate the twenty scenes from the life of Christ.